Pumpkin spice coffee cake is a delicious fall breakfast or snack with sour cream pumpkin cake layered with brown sugar pecan streusel.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #FallFlavors week. I received product samples from Dixie Crystals, Taylor & Colledge, Millican Pecan, and Nairn's to help in the creation of this #FallFlavors week recipe. All opinions are mine alone.
With fall right around the corner I've been getting so excited for fall flavors! Apples, pumpkin, and cinnamon have definitely been first on my list. In fact, as soon as I felt a chill in the air I ran to the store and bought several cans of pumpkin.
When we got home my son was beginning me to make a cake so I knew I wanted to make a pumpkin cake. After looking around I thought a pumpkin coffee cake would be a good choice so we would have something to eat for breakfast all week.
The coffee cake is basically a sour cream cake with pumpkin, spices, and Taylor & Colledge Vanilla Bean Paste in it. I love their vanilla bean paste because you can see all those gorgeous vanilla flecks in it.
The streusel is made with Dixie Crystals brown sugar which is a favorite because it comes with a zipper on the bag to help keep it sealed. I also mixed in Millican Pecan pecan pieces to give it a nutty crunch. I finished the streusel off with Nairn's Chocolate Chip Oat Grahams for a little bit of chocolate and some great texture.
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- pumpkin puree
- sour cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a small bowl combine all ingredients for the streusel and mix until crumbly.
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix and set aside.
In a medium bowl cream together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter. Add in the eggs and mix well.
Stir in the pumpkin puree, sour cream, and vanilla paste and mix until well combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with half of the steusel. Spread the remaining batter over top of the streusel. Sprinkle with remaining streusel.
Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
My son and I were both excited to see the coffee cake when it came out of the oven. He kept running into the kitchen and asking me to turn the oven light on. The funny thing is he doesn't like pumpkin or cake but he really wanted to see it.
It smelled amazing in the oven. I could smell the pumpkin, the spices, and all the sweetness and my mouth was watering just to try it. When I pulled it out of the oven both my son and I were excited to see how it looked.
Do I have to use both brown sugar and granulated sugar?
No you don't. You can substitute one for the other though if there is a choice I'd use the brown sugar because it's really better in the streusel topping.
Can I use a different nut besides pecans?
While I think pecans and pumpkins are the perfect pairing you can certainly use almonds or walnuts in place of them.
Do I have to use nuts in the streusel?
No you don't though they add a bit of crunchiness and some nuttiness as well. If you are allergic or don't like nuts you could use pumpkin seeds (which would be perfect in this pumpkin cake) or flax seed.
I don't have any sour cream. What else can I use?
You can use plain yogurt in place of the sour cream. That would be my preference but you can also use cottage cheese or buttermilk.
Can I use other spices in this cake?
Sure! If you want to use just one spice you can use pumpkin spice. In addition to ginger and cinnamon some yummy spices would be nutmeg, allspice, or cardamom.
I cut a piece and drizzled it with caramel sauce. The first bite was heavenly. The spices mixed with the sweetness and the pecans added a delicious crunch. The caramel just made it over the top amazing.
This is the perfect coffee cake for a fall breakfast or brunch. It's also sweet enough to enjoy after dinner or as an after school snack.
More Pumpkin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups
If you’ve tried my Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
For the streusel:
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. flour
- ½ c. pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons butter, softened
For the Pumpkin Coffee Cake:
- 2 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients for the streusel and mix until crumbly.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter until smooth. Add in the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, sour cream, and vanilla paste and mix until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spoon.. Sprinkle with half of the steusel.
- Gently spread the remaining batter over top of the streusel. Sprinkle with remaining streusel.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from Handle the Heat
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
- Apple Cider Milk Tea With Boba And Caramel Apple from Magical Ingredients
- Apple Cider Old Fashioned from Books n' Cooks
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Cider Donut Muffins from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pear and Apple Cider Scones from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Balsamic Roasted Purple Brussels Sprouts W/ Grapes & Chestnuts from Savory Moments
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Pumpkin Muffins from Blogghetti
- Fall Roasted Vegetable Medley from Family Around the Table
- Glazed Cippolini Onions With Rosemary from Life Love and Good Food
- Sweet Potato Latkes from Take Two Tapas
- Apple Cider Pulled Pork With Apple Slaw from Simple and Savory
- Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce from Jen around the world
- Apple Blondies from Eat Move Make
- Apple Turnover from Art of Natural Living
- Butterscotch Pie from Lemon Blossoms
- Gf Cinnamon Graham Cracker Cupcakes from Frugal & Fit
- No- Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake With Salted Caramel Glaze from West Via Midwest
- Oatmeal Scotchies from Palatable Pastime
- Pear Bundt Cake from The Fresh Cooky
- Pear Cobbler from Fresh April Flours
- Pear Crisp Ice Cream from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Pecan Butter Cookies from An Affair from the Heart
- Pecan Pie Bars from Devour Dinner
- Pumpkin Cupcakes from House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies from SueBee Homemaker
- Rosemary Pecan Shortbread With Honey-Ginger Icing from The Spiffy Cookie
- Sweet Tea Panna Cotta from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Turtle Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches from That Recipe
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a ½ lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa's Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa's, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.
Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn's
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn's Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn's has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 value.
Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.