Make a fresh spring side dish with this delicious Roasted Balsamic Asparagus and Mushrooms! It takes just minutes to prep and is the perfect pairing with pork, chicken, or fish.
Spring may have officially sprung but for those of us that are stuck at home it doesn't quite feel like a bright new day. I've been trying to have a positive outlook about this whole situation which means that I've been keeping up with all my cooking and baking.
While some days all the cooking starts to feel daunting it also keeps us in a routine and lets us keep eating healthy foods. It also keeps us from going and finding take out somewhere. In our major grocery run last weekend we stocked up on fresh produce so I had plenty of items to choose from when looking for spring side dishes.
I know asparagus is a big spring vegetable so I got started with that. I've made it grilled, I've put it in a quiche, and I've put it in pasta. This time I wanted to mix it with another vegetable to make it a hearty side dish. I had a container of mushrooms that I bought for another side dish I didn't make so I paired the two together.
I ended up roasting the asparagus and mushrooms with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Halfway through the baking I drizzled balsamic vinegar over the top of them then sprinkled then with everything but the bagel seasoning.
Both the asparagus and the mushrooms came out tender and perfect. The balsamic added a nice tang to the vegetables and the everything but the bagel seasoning added tons of flavor. If you don't have that seasoning the salt, pepper, and garlic add enough flavor on their own.
This was a super easy to make side dish and turned out really great so it's one I'll be keeping in the monthly rotation.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- I find that asparagus with smaller stalks are more tender and have a better flavor when roasted.
- If you don't have everything but the bagel seasoning you can substitute a teaspoon of sesame seeds, a teaspoon of sea salt, a teaspoon of garlic powder or salt, and a teaspoon of onion powder mixed together and sprinkled over the top.
- Add a handful of cherry tomatoes to add color and flavor to this side dish.
Roasted Balsamic Asparagus and Mushrooms
Roasted asparagus and mushrooms tossed with balsamic vinegar and everything but the bagel seasoning makes for a tasty but easy to make vegetable side dish.
- 12 oz. asparagus
- 8 oz. whole mushrooms
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1-2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 t. everything but the bagel seasoning (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the thick ends off of the asparagus then lay them on a baking pan.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and cut each into 6 or 8 pieces and place them next to the asparagus on the baking pan.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and everything but the bagel seasoning. Stir to make sure the vegetables are coated.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 702mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Fresh Spring Sides Dishes
- Blueberry Ginger Slaw by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Creamed Beet Salad by Art of Natural Living
- Creamy Parmesan Asparagus Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grilled Asparagus with Fresh Gremolata by That Recipe
- Honey Roasted Carrot Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemony Asparagus Pasta Salad by Making Miracles
- Orzo Pasta Salad by Blogghetti
- Roasted Balsamic Asparagus and Mushrooms by Hezzi D's Books and Cooks
- Roasted Carrots, Potatoes, and Green Beans by Eat Move Make
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Cheese Curd In Paradise
What a delicious mix of veggies! I would love this as a side and can't wait to try it.
I may sneak some asparagus into the house for Easter and roast it up for the hubs. He LOVES it. I hate it. I know he'd love this!
I am not a big fan of steamed asparagus. Roasting gives it so much more flavor. Add in the mushrooms and balsamic and this sounds fabulous.
Same! Roasted is so much better.
Totally digging the everything bagel seasoning with the veggies!
I never thought to add mushrooms with asparagus. So easy when you roast them together!
I like the thin stalks of asparagus better too! Also, balsamic is the perfect touch. Yum!