Every year I make a to do list of items I want to bake or cook throughout the year. This year one of those items is making more vegetable side dishes. As a sub category I wanted to make vegetable side dishes with carrots, eggplant, or zucchini because those are vegetables readily available and that we like but I don't cook with them nearly enough.
So when I received a box of produce in the mail and it contained three of the biggest carrots I've ever seen in my life I decided that was the push I needed to make a delicious carrot side dish. However, when I went looking for recipes so many of them were full of butter and sugar which isn't what I was looking for. So instead of going with a tried and true recipe I decided to just wing it.
In my mind I started putting ingredients together and what I came up with was a roasted carrot dish mixed with goat cheese and pecans. I roasted the carrots with just a little bit of butter and a tiny sprinkle of brown sugar then lots of salt, pepper, and garlic. I like the lightly sweetened but yet savory side dishes as my husband and I aren't big on the heavily sweetened vegetables.
I used Millican Pecan pecan halves in the carrots and I just tossed them in along with the carrots so they got roasted as well. While they were totally delicious I think next time I would toast them separately and then mix them into the carrots at the end. The goat cheese is added as soon as the carrots come out of the oven so it just starts to melt into the dish.
The end result are carrots that are soft but not mushy, are lightly sweetened, and almost caramelized from the brown sugar. The pecans add a delicious flavor and crunch while the goat cheese adds creaminess and a tangy flavor. My husband and I were both pleasantly surprised by how well this thrown together side dish turned out!
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Holiday Side Dish Recipes:
- Air Fried Green Beans with Crispy Onions by West Via Midwest
- Apple and Kohlrabi Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Bacon by Lemon Blossoms
- Buttery Pearl Barley Mushroom Pilaf by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesy Asparagus Bake by The Fresh Cooky
- Couscous with Cumin and Pine Nuts by Shockingly Delicious
- Cranberry Pecan Cornbread Mini Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Creamed Corn by Savory Experiments
- Creamy Cheesy Brussel Sprouts with Bacon by Blogghetti
- Farro Salad with Apples, Arugula & Feta by Sweet Beginnings
- Lemon and Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Palatable Pastime
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes by Family Around the Table
- Persimmon Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette by The Foodie Affair
- Rice Pilaf with Dried Cranberries and Almonds by An Affair from the Heart
- Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad by Kate's Recipe Box
- Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese and Pecans by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples by Devour Dinner
- Sausage Stuffing by House of Nash Eats
- Wild Rice and Broccoli Casserole by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Wild Rice and Sprouts Pilaf by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures