As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Get ready for Shark Week with these easy to make a kid friendly Shark Head Rice Krispies Treats using candy melts for the mouth and a chocolate chip eye.
It’s Shark Week! That’s right, after years of ignoring this summertime event I finally decided to get in on the action. Shark Week is a week long event on the Discovery Channel where all the shows feature sharks. It stated in 1988 and was so popular that it still exists over 30 years later.
Since there is a whole week dedicated to sharks I thought it would be fun to make a sweet treat for the occasion. My son has a little shark bath toy so I thought he might think it was fun too. Older kids can definitely help decorate these treats and kids of all ages will love to help eat them!
The originally recipe makes 2 pans or 8 treats but these treats are huge. You can easily cut the recipe in half and make 1 pan instead. I did this and while it only made 4 shark heads we cut each one in half before eating them because each is a large portion.
To make the shark heads I sprayed an 8 inch cake pan with cooking spray. Then I made the classic Rice Krispies treats but divided them into 2 pans. One pan I left the color it was and the other pan I added blue coloring too.
I took the blue treats and using my hands sprayed with cooking spray I shaped it into a circle around the edge of the pan. Then I poured the other treats into the pan and allowed it to cool.
Once cook I cut the treats into 4 pieces. On each piece I colored a white shark mouth with white candy melts. Once those hardened I used red candy melts to make red teeth. I finished up with a chocolate chip eye.
These were super easy to make and they tasted great. They were also really fun to look at and pretend like they were sharks! Kids and adults alike will love this fun Shark Week snack.
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 oz) bag mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Blue food coloring
- 6 c. Rice Krispies
- 1/2 c. white candy melts
- 1/3 c. red candy melts
- 8 chocolate chips.
- Spray two 8 inch cake pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Divide the butter between two saucepans and place them over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Add half the marshmallows to each pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the marshmallows are melted.
- Stir half the vanilla into each pot. Place a few drops of blue food coloring in one pan and mix well. Leave the other pan white.
- Remove the pans from the heat and stir 3 cups of Rice Krispies into each pan until well combined.
- Spray your hands with cooking spray and dump half the blue mixture into each prepared cake pan. Working quickly press the blue into the edges of the pan forming a 1 to 1 1/2 inch wide ring around the edge.
- Use the plain mixture to fill in the center of both pans. Pack it in tightly.
- Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes then flip both pans onto a cutting board and cut into quarters. You will have 8 pieces total.
- Put the white candy melts in a microve safe bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring in between each heating, until melted.
- Place the white candy in a zip top bag and snip off the corner. Pipe a white mouth onto each treat and let harden 15 minutes.
- Put the red candy melts in a microve safe bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring in between each heating, until melted.
- Place red melts in a zip top bag and snip off the corner. Pipe on a zigzag for teeth. Let harden 15 minutes.
- Press a chocolate chip into each treat for the sharks eye.
Recipe from Food Network
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 3gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g