As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I was provided with bar-b-que sauce from Bar-B-Que Beast to create a recipe. All opinions are 100% my own.
Maryland Crab Dip gets a fun twist from a sweet and spicy bar-b-que sauce seasoned with Old Bay.
As I’m sure you know by now I live in Maryland but I’m not from here originally. I spent the first 22 years of my life in Pennsylvania so crabs were never a thing in my home town. That’s not the case here.
In Maryland crabs are not onlyTo a thing, they are a whole event. The first time I went to a crab feast I was amazed. Long tables lined with butcher paper topped with crabs, butter, Old Bay seasoning, and crab crackers littered the paper. There was also plenty of beer all around. It was quite a sight to behold.
Unfortunately I’m not a huge fan of picking and eating crabs. My husband, who has lived in Maryland most of his life, taught me how to pick a crab. I can do it but then I usually hand the meat off to him.
I have learned to enjoy my husband’s crab cakes and Maryland crab dip. Those are two crab dishes I can always agree on. So when I received On The Bay bar-b-que sauce from Bar-B-Que Beast I knew I had to make something with crab.
This sauce is made in Waynesboro, PA which is about an hour and a half from where I live. It’s also only about an hour and a half from Baltimore so I figured if they had a bar-b-que sauce for seafood I better use it on seafood! After talking about what to make with my husband I decided on Bar-B-Que Crab Dip.
To make the crab dip you need:
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- Bar-B-Que Beast On The Bay Bar-B-Que sauce
- lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Old Bay Seasoning
- garlic powder
- cheddar cheese
- lump crab meat
This recipe is super easy. You can mix it up in about 5 minutes then just pop it in the oven. All you do is mix everything together in a bowl and pour it into a baking dish.
Top the crab dip with additional cheddar cheese and a drizzle of the bar-b-que sauce. Bake the dip until it’s nice and bubbly then remove it from the oven and top with scallions if desired.
I served mine with toasted crostini but it’s also delicious served with crackers, breadsticks, pretzels, or even vegetables. My son was actually eating fries with his dinner when we had this dip and I tried it on top of a waffle fry and it was really awesome so that is another serving suggestion.
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- While you can use claw crab meat lump is just so much better. I also recommend you use crab meat from the United States (we get ours from Maryland most of the time)
- If you like a bit of spice you can add a few dashes of hot sauce or some pickled jalapenos to the dip.
- You can make the dip up to 24 hours ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Old Bay
- 1/4 c. On The Bay Bar-B-Que Sauce, divided
- 1 lb. lump crab meat
- 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Mix until well combined.
- Add in 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, and 2 tablespoons of the Bar-B-Que sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Gently fold in the crab meat.
- Pour into an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the crab dip with the remaining cheddar cheese then drizzle with remaining Bar-B-Que sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with scallions if desired.
- Serve hot with crostini or crackers.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 680mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
- Curry Barbecue Chickpea and Eggplant Tacos by Savory Moments
- Barbecue Seafood Skewers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Curry Barbecue Chicken by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Southern BBQ Tri Tip Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy BBQ Diablo Chicken by Cookaholic Wife
- Air Fryer BBQ Wings by Books n’ Cooks
- Barbecue Shrimp and Cheesy Grits By Making Miracles
- On the Bay Bar-B-Cue Crab Dip By Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Air Fryer Chicken Fingers with BBQ Yogurt dipping sauce By Simple and Savory
- Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken with BBQ Dipping Sauce By Kate’s Recipe Box