Summer is almost here and that means BBQ's and picnics! I don't know about you but whenever I think of picnics I think of grilled food, delicious salads and sides, and plenty of desserts. Since my husband takes care of the grilling and I have many, many dessert recipes to choose from, I'm happy to share a side dish with you today.
The first side dish I think of when I think summer and picnics is potato salad. I love potato salad...when it's good. I don't love when it's drowning in mayonnaise or made with sub-par potatoes. I guess I'm a bit picky when it comes to my potato salad. I like it with fresh Idaho Potatoes, lots of veggies, bacon, and plenty of seasonings. While I do put mayonnaise in the potato salad, it isn't overwhelming and I add enough mustard and vinegar to balance it out.
The first and most important part of making potato salad is choosing the potatoes. While I'm a fan of Russet potatoes, I think potato salad calls for red skinned potatoes. They are smaller, easier to use in potato salads, and I love the added color it gives to a salad. I used two pounds of red skinned potatoes in my salad along with celery, onion, garlic, and green peppers. I think the vegetables add color, flavor, and a nice crunch to the potato salad.
Of course no potato salad is completely finished without bacon and eggs (sounds like I'm ready for breakfast!) But really, hard boiled eggs and bacon round out this southern style potato salad. I whipped it all up in no time but had an awfully hard time waiting for it to cool before I could eat it. It was so good, quite possibly the best potato salad I've made to date. I can't wait to take it to my mom's house for her Memorial Day picnic!
Southern Style Potato Salad
- 2 lb. red skinned Idaho® potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ c. light mayonnaise
- 2 T. brown mustard
- 1 T. white vinegar
- 1 t. celery seed
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 t. paprika (for garnish)
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Place them in a medium saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and cool over medium high heat for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook 3-4 minutes per side or until browned. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Crumble and set aside.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan. Add the celery, bell pepper, onions, and garlic to the bacon fat and saute for 1 minute, just long enough for them vegetables to pick up the bacon flavor.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour the vegetables into a large bowl. Add in the mayonnaise, brown mustard, white vinegar, celery seed, salt, pepper, and eggs. Mix well to combine.
- Add the potatoes and the bacon to the vegetables and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving sprinkle with paprika.
Source: Adapted from Spiced
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 657mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP)
I'm a big fan of Southern style potato salad and your recipe looks delicious! Can't wait to try it!
What a beautiful potato salad! I also don't like when a potato salad is swimming in mayo. A great twist on a family favourite
Melanie | Melanie Makes
Love that you included bacon - perfection!
I want one of those cute Idaho potato guys!! Haha, so cute
OH my, my husband and I have been having way too much fun with Spuddy Buddy! He's a puppet!
Every good potato salad needs bacon!
Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons
My mom always finishes her potato salad with paprika, and I just love it that way! Also, your spuddy buddy has quite the personality 🙂
Alice // Hip Foodie Mom
Delicious!!! this is my kind of potato salad!! esp with the paprika on top!! love it and looks great!
Cindys Recipes and Writings
I'll be right over! I'm bringing my own spoon.
I am with Heather. Your potato salad sounds magical and anything with paprika has my name on it 🙂
Constance Smith (@FoodieArmyWife)
Oooo!!! I love that you put green pepper in here. YUM!!!
Nothing like a good Southern Potato Salad -- Love this recipe.
Heather // girlichef
Mmmm...this sounds magical. I love the paprika finish, it's so pretty and beckoning!
This potato salad would definitely be a hit at any potluck...I'm going to put it on my must make list. It looks fabulous!
Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet)
Looks very good...boiled eggs area MUST in potato salad for my Southern family!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers
Yum! I love your southern spin on the potato salad! It looks mighty delish! Perfect for a picnic!
Nice seasonings in your potato salad, especially the paprika on top.