As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I got another bag of rhubarb! So when I started looking for something to make I of course thought of strawberry and rhubarb. I wanted to make a pie but I didn’t really have time to make pie crust. My brother invited us to a picnic and I wanted to bring dessert so I needed to find something that was easy to transport. I found a recipe for crumble bars that looked great.
The recipe called for an easy strawberry rhubarb mixture with a buttery streusel topping. I love streusel on top of fruit. It just makes an ordinary dessert something special. It adds color, it adds crunch, and it adds flavor.
The bars came out of the oven at the perfect time. The streusel was a lovely golden brown color. When we cut the bars the filling was sweet and tart from the rhubarb and the topping was crunchy and buttery. It was really a delightful combination of flavors. One note, these are best served the day they are made because the streusel starts to soften after sitting for a day. You can crisp it back up by putting it in thee oven for a few minutes, but these are best served the day they are made.
For the Streusel:
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. oats
For the Bars:
- 1 1/2 c. rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 c. strawberries, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/3 c. flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9" square baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for the streusel. Mix well. The streusel should be crumbly.
- In a medium bowl combine the strawberries, rhubarb, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup of flour. Toss to combine.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl beat the butter and powdered sugar until it's light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with the strawberry rhubarb mix and top with streusel mixture.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool. Remove from the pan and cut into bars.
Source: Slightly adapted from White on Rice Couple