As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Kids and adults will love this delicious Gourmet Grilled Cheese with two cheeses on the inside and a garlic butter and parmesan encrusted bread on the outside.
Grilled cheese is one of those things that I eat whenever I don’t know what to make for lunch. It’s always something I enjoy and I can switch up the type of cheese I have in the middle to make it different from day to day.
Usually when I have a grilled cheese for lunch I just use American cheese because it melts well and makes a good grilled cheese. However, if I’m having grilled cheese for dinner I like to make it a little fancier.
In the past I’ve made grilled cheese with fruit, grilled cheese with veggies, and even a dessert grilled cheese. It’s fun to come up with different combinations of cheeses and other ingredients.
This gourmet grilled cheese is different from any others I’ve made because there is cheese on the inside and the outside. I was so intrigued by having a garlic parmesan crust on the exterior of my bread.
- garlic cloves
- Parmesan cheese
- good, thick bread
- American cheese
- Monterrey Jack cheese
To Make the Garlic Butter: In a small bowl combine the softened butter, garlic cloves, and salt. Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread. Sprinkle each slice with Parmesan cheese, pressing the cheese into the bread.
To Make the Grilled Cheese: Place two slices of bread in a hot skillet. Put the American cheese and Monterrey Jack cheese on top of the bread. Top with another slice of bread. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
Place two bread slices, buttered side down, on the hot skillet. Place 1-2 slices of each cheese on the bread slices and then place the remaining slices of buttered bread on top (the buttered side facing up). As the bottom side of the sandwich turns golden brown and cheese begins to melt (approximately 3-4 minutes) flip the sandwiches and cook until the next side is golden brown and cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately.
I’ll be honest when I say I was afraid the cheese would stick to my pan and I would have a gooey, cheesy mess. I tried to get Parmesan cheese that was shredded very thin in hopes that it would stick to the bread and not go all over the place.
What I found was that if enough of the cheese stuck to the bread then it didn’t make much of a mess. You just have to be careful when you flip the bread over that any cheese that falls off goes underneath the bread so that it sticks to it.
Can I use the Parmesan cheese in the can?
Do not use the Parmesan cheese that comes in the can. It’s powdery and won’t melt into the crusty cheese that makes this sandwich so delicious. You can grate or shred your own Parmesan cheese or buy finely shredded Parmesan cheese.
What type of bread should I use?
You need to use a thick, good quality bread. Good choices include sourdough bread, French bread, or Italian bread. You can also use thick sliced homemade bread.
What type of cheese can I use?
You can use any two types of cheese that you’d like in your grilled cheese as long as they melt well. I’m a huge fan of American cheese because it melts so well. Other good options include Cheddar, Gouda, Havarti, Provolone, Mozzarella, Gruyere, or Fontina.
Once the cheese gets brown flip the grilled cheese over and brown the other side. The cheese gets brown and crisp and and mixes with the garlic butter to make an outrageous bread for the grilled cheese.
The inside side is melted and delicious. My husband wasn’t sure about this grilled cheese when I first told him about it but we both ended up really enjoying it.
I like that it wasn’t very hard to make and that you can make it with any cheese you have in the refrigerator. I thought the American cheese and Monterrey Jack was a good combination.
More Grilled Cheese Recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese
- Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
If you’ve tried my Three Cheese Gourmet Garlic Grilled Cheese or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 c. finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices of a good quality, thick bread
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1/4 c. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter, garlic, and salt in a small bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Spread one tablespoon of the butter mixture on one side of each slice of bread. Divide the Parmesan cheese between the slices and press into the butter.
- Once the skillet it hot carefully place two slices of the bread butter side down into the pan.
- Place one slice of American cheese on top of the bread then divide the Monterrey Jack cheese between the two sandwiches and then top each with another slice of American cheese. Top each sandwich with a slice of the prepared bread.
- Cook the grilled cheese for 3-4 minutes per side or until the Parmesan mixture on the outside of the bread has browned and is crispy and the cheese inside is melted.
- Remove from the pan and cut in half. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Fork in the Kitchen