As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Do you find that the same people make the same side dishes for every holiday? In our family Thanksgiving usually comes with a side of mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, some type of veggie, and most recently macaroni and cheese. For Christmas the side dishes include cheesy potatoes, baked pineapple, and vegetables.
While I find it comforting to have the same side dishes for the same holidays, sometimes it’s nice to add in something a little different. I do love the side dishes we have but I also think we could do with a bit of spice. I like a variety of dishes to choose from and this Buffalo Broccoli and Cauliflower would be a hit with the younger people in my family.
I like this recipe because it’s easy to make and it packs a lot of flavor. You can easily make it the day before and simply heat it up for a holiday dinner. The amount of spiciness depends on how much buffalo sauce you add to the vegetables. Make it as hot or as mild as your family would enjoy.
The original recipe calls for the vegetables to be boiled but I find that pretty boring. Roasting the vegetables gives them so much more flavor and they just taste better. I add some seasonings to the broccoli and cauliflower while the roasting as well.
At the end you can choose whether to drizzle the veggies with blue cheese or ranch. I used ranch because not everyone like blue cheese but you could also just put them both on the side and let guests pick which one they would prefer. Any way you dress it up, this Buffalo Broccoli and Cauliflower is a tasty and spicy side dish that will add a bit of heat to your holiday dinner.
- 4 c. cauliflower florets
- 4 c. broccoli florets
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 c. Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce or Hot Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 c. ranch or blue cheese
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the veggies and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the hot sauce, butter, and garlic cloves in a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and pour the sauce over top of them. Toss to coat.
- In a small bowl mix together the ranch or blue cheese with the sour cream. Drizzle over top of the veggies and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Family Circle
Try all these tasty holiday side dish recipes:
- Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Ambrosia Salad from Daily Dish Recipes
- Five-Ingredient Bacon-Ranch Creamed Corn from The Weekend Gourmet
- Mashed Potato Casserole from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples from Sweet Beginnings
- Roasted Buffalo Broccoli and Cauliflower from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Seasoned Rice from A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Spinach Pomegranate Salad from Caroline’s Cooking
- Tangerine Beet Goat Cheese Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole from The Baking Fairy