I am so excited by how awesome our CSA continues to be! This time last year we were getting mostly pumpkins and squash. It wouldn't have been so bad except we got multiples of each. One can only eat so many pumpkins. This week we received 1 bag of lettuce, a large container of yellow and red tomatoes, a ton of green beans, 3 onions, 3 garlic cloves, 3 cucumbers, and 4 large potatoes.
I was happy to get bigger potatoes because we love having baked potato bar for dinner some nights. I even have a baked potato bar song (seriously). With half of the tomatoes I made a delicious tomato sauce to go over top of my eggplant parmesan. My husband used the cucumbers in his cucumber onion salad. Then we were left with tomatoes, garlic, and onions. With these ingredients I knew I was making a Mexican meal.
A few weeks ago I saw a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls. I swore that I pinned it but after 15 minutes of searching I couldn't find it anywhere. So I took the concept and made my own recipes. I used the tomatoes, garlic, onions, and some green peppers from my own garlic to make homemade salsa. Then I sauteed some chicken and spiced it up with buffalo sauce.
I also sauteed more garlic and onions as well as another green pepper. I added some corn, black beans, and seasonings and then served it all on top of rice. It was a delicious flavor combination. The chicken was spicy, the salsa was super fresh, the corn mixture added a lot of traditional flavors, and the rice tied it all together. This is a great quick and flavorful dinner option.
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 lb. chicken, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 c. canned corn
- 1 c. canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Arizona Seasoning from Penzey's (optional)
- ¼ c. buffalo sauce
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 c. rice
- ¾ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 c. homemade salsa
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro, chopped
- Put half the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute for 10 minutes or until it is cooked through.
- In another pan add the remaining olive oil to a medium pan over medium heat. . Add in the garlic cloves, onion, and green peppers. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the corn, black beans, cumin, black pepper, salt, and Arizona Seasoning. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butter and buffalo sauce to the pan with the chicken and cook over high heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken is coated.
- To assemble the bowls place a half cup of rice in the bottom of a bowl or plate. Place a few heaping spoonful of the corn mixture on top of the rice. Place pieces of buffalo chicken on top.
- Sprinkle the burrito bowl with salsa and sour cream. Sprinkle cheddar cheese around the outside edge of the rice. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
Leave a Reply