I have trouble making vegetable side dishes. This is not a secret to anyone that knows me. While I enjoy many vegetables I'm not very creative at turning them into a delicious side. I usually end up making a salad or roasted vegetables.
I try to go through recipes and find ones that are easy and use seasonal vegetables. Since it's spring asparagus is in season. I'm not the biggest asparagus fan but when it's cooked right it can be pretty tasty. In this recipe its paired with my favorite vegetable, the potato.
The thing I like about this dish is that it's really easy to make. Simply cut the vegetables, toss with seasoning, and bake in the oven. I can prep it, put it in the oven, then forget about it while I finish making dinner. Plus the addition of Parmesan cheese adds a great flavor to this dish.
This is a great side to make for company because it requires little effort and makes a large portion. The potatoes are tender, the asparagus is perfectly roasted, and both are lightly seasoned and finished off with the cheese. Because it's Parmesan cheese it's a lighter addition to the vegetables but it packs a lot of flavor.
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, halved
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the potatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper together and lay on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Toss the asparagus with the remaining olive oil and the garlic. Place on the baking sheet with the potatoes and toss to combine.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is roasted and potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and toss with the Parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from Five Heart Home