As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Every few months or so my husband and I decide to start eating healthy again and will do so for a month or two. During this time I look for easy to make meals that are healthy, hearty, and ready in 30 minutes or less. It’s hard to find a lot of quick and healthy meals to make after work.
I usually try to make entree salads one time a week and a giant pot of soup another day of the week. This usually makes enough for 3 dinners plus a lunch or two. Salads can range from Italian chopped salads to steak salads with fries or buffalo chicken salads. We are basically up for anything.
This week I’m sharing the recipe for Chicken Fajita Salad Bowls. These were really easy to make and customize depending on who was eating them.. They start out with a bed of your favorite greens. We used iceberg, romaine, and Bibb lettuce.
Next you need to pick your toppings. Since I was making these fajita salads I chose to make sauteed peppers and onions as well as corn, avocado, and cheese. Instead of cutting up soft tortillas or using tortilla chips I simply bought a bag of salad topper tortilla strips. That way all I had to do was pour them on top of the salad.
I cooked them chicken with fajita seasonings but I saved some of the fajita seasoning for on top of the onions and peppers as well. Other toppings that would be good include tomatoes, refried beans, sour cream , cilantro, or salsa. I actually used a touch of salsa and sour cream on top of mine but they aren’t pictured.
Now lets talk about the dressing. There are three types of dressings that are easy to make and I think would be great for these salad bowls. The first is salsa ranch which is just how it sounds. You mix equal parts of ranch dressing and salsa then pour it over top of the salads. Another great dressing would be a combination of sour cream, cumin, lime, and salsa. This makes a tangy dressing that is great. The one I went for want a chili lime vinaigrette which I’ll share the recipe for below.
This is a delicious salad and if you build it piece by piece it ends up looking pretty as well. You could totally make this one for a dinner party or just for a quiet night at home. We enjoyed all the toppings and the chili lime vinaigrette was perfect with the fajita seasoning on the chicken and vegetables.
Chicken Fajita Salad Bowls
For the salad:
- 6 c. lettuce
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 c. frozen corn thawed
- 1 c. cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 c. tortilla strips
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
For the dressing:
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1/3 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- Divide the greens between 4 plates. Top with equal amounts of avocado, cheese, tortilla, and corn. You can sprinkle it over top or simply place them in small piles on the lettuce.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add in the peppers and onions and saute for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add the fajita seasoning and mix well to combine. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Top the salads with the peppers and onions.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and divide between the salads.
- To make the vinaigrette place all ingredients in a small mason jar or bowl with a lid and shake vigorously for 1 minute.
- Pour dressing over top of the salads and serve immediately.
Healthier Recipes for the New Year
- Chicken Fajita Salad Bowls from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Diet Chocolate Ice Cream Soda from Art of Natural Living
- Keto Egg Casserole from Our Good Life
- Light Bacon Broccoli Salad from That Recipe
- Ribbons of Brussels Sprouts from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Barley Soup from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Tex-Mex Pad Thai from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures