This week is going to be crazy busy. I'm working after teaching every day and won't be home until after 6 so I've been looking for simple one dish meals I can prepare when I get home. I always have pasta dishes ready to go and I had a crock-pot meal as well so I needed something different. Chicken Tamale Pie was the answer.
I was able to cook and shred the chicken two days ahead of time which saved me time. The base of the pie is a spicy green chili cornbread crust that is topped with enchilada sauce. The chicken and cheese and placed on top and baked until bubbly. The flavors in this dish just burst in my mouth. The cornbread was spicy but sweet. The chicken, cheese, and sauce were amazing. Then cilantro and queso fresco add a bit of colorful for a gorgeous presentation as well.
Chicken Tamale Pie (adapted from Prevention RD)
¼ c. 2% milk
2 T. fajita seasoning, divided
¼ t. ground red pepper
1 c. cream-style corn
1 (8.5 oz) box corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
2 c. cooked chicken breast, shredded
½ c. part-skim cheddar cheese, shredded
2 T. cilantro, chopped
2 T. Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine the milk, egg, 1 tablespoon of fajita seasoning, red pepper, cream corn, corn muffin mix, and green chilies in a large bowl. Stir just until moist. Pour the mixture into the pie pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, toss the chicken with the remaining fajita seasoning.
4. Remove the cornbread from the oven and pierce the entire surface with a fork. Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with the chicken; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Top with cilantro and Queso Fresco.