This week my friends and I in our #SundaySupper group are having a virtual chili cook-off! Since I have been in several chili cook-offs before and have one winning chili recipe, Chipotle Beef Chili, I was excited to try my hand at a new chili recipe and hope for a win in our virtual cook-off. After checking out probably close to a hundred chili recipes online as well as looking through my own chili recipes, I combined a ton of different elements from different recipes into one totally MAG recipe for Chili con Tres Carne.
Tres carne in Spanish is three meats. I included bacon, pork, and ground beef in this incredible chili recipe. I spiced it up with some green chilies and chili powder. Then I added in the vegetables; kidney beans, black beans, tomatoes, corn, and onions. The basis of this recipe was easy. The hard part came when I was trying to season it. I almost had my entire spice rack out next to the pot as I tried to decide which spices would work well together. I think I ended up with the right choices.
I love how this chili looks and tastes. It's actually a pretty chili with the colorful beans and corn in it. The flavors are spicy and complex. The hint of cocoa really adds an extra dimension to the chili. I think it's one of the best recipes I've made to date! But, don't take my word for it, go on and try it for yourself! You'll be glad you did.
Also, don't forget to vote for you favorite chili recipe! I'd love it if you voted for mine, but I'll understand if you vote for one of the other amazing chili recipes!
- 4 strips bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ lb. pork chops, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 c. beef broth
- 6 oz. beer (anything but light beer)
- 1 T. cocoa powder
- salt and pepper
For the topping:
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ c. sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large stockpot fry the bacon pieces over medium heat until the begin to brown.
- Add in the pork chop cubes and saute until they are no longer pink.
- Add in the ground beef, chili powder, and cumin. Mix well and cook until the beef is browned
- Move the meat to the outer edges of the stockpot and add the onion, green chilies, jalapenos, and garlic to the center of the stockpot. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until they have softened.
- Add the kidney beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, beerm and cocoa powder to the stockpot. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Taste the chili and adjust the salt and pepper as needed. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
Source: A Hezzi-D original recipe
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 - National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE!
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It's Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu's Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni's Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin' Chicken Chili from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Daddy's Favorite Chili from Momma's Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie's Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.