Need an easy weeknight meal? Easy Kielbasa Cabbage Potato Skillet is a combination of tender potatoes, fresh cabbage, and salty kielbasa combine in an easy 20 minute weeknight meal!
With school starting back up I'm running into the problem of not having enough time to get dinner on the table. While I know I get home a lot earlier than other people it still seems so rushed.
The one good thing is that we have moved our dinner time from 6 to 6:30. For the last 3 years we've eaten at 6 for my toddler. Now that he doesn't nap anymore and he eats breakfast at school all of our meal times have shifted. While I don't love all of the new times I do like the new dinner time.
One reason I have a hard time getting dinner on the table is that I don't really see my son all day so whenever I get home I like to play with him for a few hours. He's only 4 so he still likes hanging out with me in the evenings. By the time we are done playing there's usually only about 30 minutes left until dinner.
So I've been trying to make quick and easy meals that are filling. I like to make sheet pan dinners or one pot meals because they are easy to make and the clean up is simple as well.
This Kielbasa Cabbage Potato Skillet is an easy one pan meal. The prep takes about 10 minutes and the cook time is around 15 minutes so it's easy to have on the table in under 30 minutes.
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Chop the potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add in the kielbasa and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour the potatoes into the pan and press them lightly onto the surface of the pan. Cook for 2 minutes then flip and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Add in the cabbage and 2 Tablespoons of water. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 minutes.
Remove the lid, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add in the butter. Heat for 1 minute then serve.
In addition to this being a quick meal it is cheap to make. The ingredients cost me maybe six or seven dollars. Had I found the kielbasa on sale I could have made this meal for under five dollars.
If you want to add a little bit of bulk to the meal consider serving it with rice. While you can certainly make regular rice which would be cheaper, I choose to use the microwave rice because it's quick and easy to make.
Can I use something beside Kielbasa?
You can use smoked sausage in place of the kielbasa because it cooks up the same and has the saltiness like the kielbasa.
Can I add in additional vegetables?
Sure! A few vegetables that would be great to add in would be thinly sliced bell peppers, sliced zucchini or yellow squash, or even corn.
I don't do well thinly slicing cabbage. Is there an alternative?
What I like to do is buy a bag of cole slaw mix. It's basically just cabbage and a little bit of carrot thinly sliced. That way I don't have to worry about wasting half a cabbage or slicing it up myself!
What type of potatoes should I use?
You can really use any type you like. I tend to use Russet potatoes because that's what I have on hand but red skinned potatoes are always a good choice. If you want a little bit of sweetness then use sweet potatoes!
This meal is pretty much a blank canvas that you can add any spices or seasonings too. While I like the simple salt, pepper, garlic, and butter sometimes it's nice to add in other spices as well.
I like to use rosemary and paprika on occasion. For a spicy flair sprinkle in some cayenne pepper. Cumin and oregano can add a Mexican flair to the dish.
More Easy Weeknight Meals:
- Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Crispy Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Spinach
- Broiled Salmon with Butter and Herbs
- One Pot Tuscan White Bean, Sausage, and Gnocchi
- Sheet Pan Parmesan Pork and Veggies
If you’ve tried my Easy Kielbasa Cabbage Potato Skillet or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 1 lb. potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- I small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 c. cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Wash the potatoes then chop them into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the kielbasa and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the cooked potatoes into the pan and press them lightly onto the surface of the pan. Cook for 2 minutes then flip and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in the cabbage and 2 Tablespoons of water. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add in the butter. Heat for 1 minute or until the butter melts and then serve.
Recipe from Barefeet in the Kitchen
One Pot Wonders
- Cheesy Green Bean Casserole with Cherry Tomatoes from Art of Natural Living
- Easy Kielbasa Cabbage Potato Skillet from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Easy One-Pot Mixed Millets and Dal Khichdi from Magical Ingredients
- Instant Pot Butter Beans and Country Ham from Palatable Pastime
- One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- One-Pot Stove Top Mac and Cheese from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Rustic Chicken and Sausage White Bean Stew from Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup from The Spiffy Cookie