Sometimes when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is cook dinner. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and I usually have a weekly meal plan for us so I know what we are having but sometimes I'm just tired and want to sit. While that is virtually impossible to do with a toddler I'd much rather play with him than cook.
That's why I look for quick and easy weeknight meals. Whether this means I throw something in the Instant Pot or cook a meal that takes less than 30 minutes, I know that several times a week I need something easy for dinner.
So when I found a weeknight meal that sounded hearty, was ready in less than 30 minutes, and was a one pot meal I immediately pinned it. One pot meals mean less clean up and usually an easy recipe. Plus this One Pot Tuscan White beans, Sausage, and Gnocchi had vegetables, a meat, and pasta in it which sounded perfect.
The recipe starts off by cooking the gnocchi and draining it. Then you can use the same pan to make the sauce. The sauce consists of onion, sausage, tomatoes, peppers, and white beans that are tossed with gnocchi and baby spinach. After it cooks up it is topped off with Parmesan cheese.
While this sounds like a super heavy meal I really feel like the vegetables help to lighten it up. I also served it with a salad which was a great choice for a side dish. If you don't want to make a salad just some crusty bread or rolls would be great with it as well.
This dish is really flavorful and filling. I love the gnocchi topped with the tomato and vegetable sauce along with the crumbled sausage. I think kids would really like this meal as well and it's great for a weeknight meal!
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- If you truly want this to be a one pot meal make sure you either use a deep skillet or a Dutch Oven to make this meal so you have enough room to boil the gnocchi.
- Fresh tomatoes can be substituted for the canned tomatoes, simply chop one cup of cherry tomatoes and add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Instead of sausage substitute half a pound of chopped chicken breasts in the recipe.
- 1 package (16 oz) gnocchi
- 2 t. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ lb. Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 T. Italian herbs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 can (16 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. baby spinach
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. water
- In a large pot or saute pan cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. Drain and keep warm..
- In the same pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the sausage and saute until browned.
- Add in the yellow pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, Italian herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in the beans, spinach, and water then simmer 5 minutes.
- Place the warm gnocchi and Parmesan cheese in the pot and stir until just combined.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe adapted from Savory Nothings