Chicken Pot Pie just got easier with this easy skillet version made with homemade gravy, shredded chicken breast, and refrigerated biscuits!
In the winter one food that I love to eat is chicken pot pie. There's just something warm and comforting about that flaky crust filled with vegetables, chicken, and homemade gravy. The problem with chicken pot pit is that it takes a while to make and it has a ton of calories in it.
Both of those things are fixed in this Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie recipe. There's no need to make homemade pie crust or wait an hour until this meal is cooked. Also, because there are just biscuits on top instead of a double crust there are a lot less calories in this version as well.
This is a great recipe if you are looking for something to do with leftover rotisserie chicken or just extra shredded chicken you have from another meal. I didn't have any chicken leftover so I just cooked a few chicken breasts and chopped them up once they were cooked.
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- cooked chicken breast
- frozen peas and carrots
- refrigerated biscuits
Before you begin making this recipe make sure you preheat the oven because this recipe goes fast. From beginning to end it's ready in under 30 minutes.
You start by melting the butter in a pan. Then you add the onion and saute until it begins to get tender. Add in the garlic and stir for a minute or until it's fragrant.
Next I put in the flour and whisk it until a roux forms. Then I added in the chicken broth and milk and heated it until it had thicken into a gravy. At this point add in salt and pepper and whatever seasonings you want. I only added thyme because I like the flavor of the chicken and vegetables to shine through but you can add a variety of spices.
Finally I added in the cooked chicken, peas, and carrots and cooked for just a few minutes. Then simply put the refrigerator biscuits on top of the entire thing and bake it until they are golden brown.
This is a really delicious and easy way to have chicken pot pie on a weekday. No need to be in the kitchen all afternoon, just whip this up and bake!
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- You can certainly whip up your own biscuits to put on top of this but using the refrigerator biscuits is a total time saver.
- Substitute in leftover cooked turkey if you don't have chicken.
- If you don't have cooked chicken you can just cook 2-3 chicken breasts in a pan with an inch of chicken broth in it then either shred it or dice it. Either works for this recipe.
- Add in any other vegetables you like in pot pie. Good additions are potatoes (boiled ahead of time), celery, corn, or frozen green beans.
More Pot Pie Recipes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Freezer Meal
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Tuna Pot Pie from Palatable Pastime
- Sheet Pan Seafood Pot Pie from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Vegetable Pot Pie from Kate's Recipe Box
- Beef Steak Pie from House of Nash Eats
If you’ve tried my Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ c. onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 can (10 ½ oz) condensed chicken broth
- ¼ c. milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 c. cooked chicken breast, shredded or cubed
- 2 c. frozen peas and carrots mixture, thawed
- 1 tube (12 oz) refrigerated biscuits, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the oven and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, broth, milk, salt, peeper, and thyme. Whisk until smooth then pour into the skillet.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, sstirring constantly and cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add in the chicken, peas, and carrot and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange the quartered biscuits over top of the mixture in the skillet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
Recipe from Taste of Home, October/November 2020
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 657mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
Get More Super Simple Weeknight Recipes:
- Bruschetta Chicken by That Recipe
- Cheesy Pasta with Shredded Kohlrabi by Art of Natural Living
- Easy One Pot Mexican Beans and Rice by Magical Ingredients
- Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Ham and Cheddar Carbonara by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Honey BBQ Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin by Family Around the Table
- Pepper Steak by Palatable Pastime
- Sheet Pan Bacon Wrapped Mustard Chicken with Broccoli and Potatoes by The Spiffy Cookie
- Slow Cooker Hot Beef Sandwiches by Cheese Curd In Paradise