As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Loaded Cauliflower Casserole is a tasty side dish mixed with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and bacon that is fancy enough for the holidays but easy enough to be part of a weeknight meal.
I’m a big fan of cauliflower but I often have trouble finding things to do with it. Usually I roast it in the oven with lemon and parmesan cheese or I toss it with broccoli and mix with cheese sauce. I’ve tried several other recipes but nothing really called to me.
So when I hosted Holiday Side Dish last year and saw this Loaded Cauliflower Casserole I couldn’t wait to try it. It’s basically everything I pile high on a baked potato but mixed into a casserole along with cauliflower.
Since it is mixed with cauliflower and not put on a baked potato it cooks a whole lot faster making it a great choice for a weekday side dish. However, it’s good enough to be a holiday side dish as well.
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
This dish is super easy to make. The cauliflower is cut into florets and then can either be steamed or boiled until softened. Then the cauliflower is mixed together with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and bacon and baked in the oven.
The cauliflower casserole came out of the oven smelling delicious. The sour cream and cheese melted together to coat the cauliflower and the bacon got really crispy.
Can I use broccoli instead?
Yes you can! You can use all broccoli, all cauliflower, or go half and half with them. They directions are the same no matter which way you go.
How do you cook the cauliflower?
You can do this several ways. One is that you can put the the cauliflower in a pot of boiling water and boil for 8 minutes. Another is put the cauliflower in a dish with water and heat for 8 minutes in the microwave. I actually put the cauliflower in the baking dish and covered it with water then put it in the microwave for 8 minutes to cook so I didn’t have to dirty an extra dish.
How do I add extra color to the dish?
The dish does look a little bland so I added chopped chives from my garden to give it a pop of green. You can also add chopped green onions on top.
We really enjoyed the flavors in this dish. This would be a great way to introduce cauliflower to kids because of the cheese and bacon on top of it. I’ll be making this dish again soon!
More Vegetable Side Dish Recipes:
- Sweet and Spicy Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Cheesy Broccoli Gratin
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake
- Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese
If you’ve tried my Loaded Cauliflower Casserole or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Steam the cauliflower for 8 minutes or place in a bowl of water in the microwave for 8 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl combine the cauliflower, sour cream, half the cheese, half the bacon, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until combined.
- Pour the cauliflower into the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the remaining cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cauliflower is heated through.
Recipe adapted from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 763mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Welcome to Holiday Side Dish Week 2022 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks. This year we have over 45 side dishes to help you plan your holiday meals.
Friday Holiday Side Dish Recipes:
- Cauliflower & Carrot Gratin from An Affair from the Heart
- Creamed Lima Beans with Bacon from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Deviled Potatoes from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Hasselback Potato Gratin from Sweet Beginnings
- Homemade Sausage and Herb Stuffing Recipe from Blogghetti
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Casserole from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange-Glazed Green Beans and Butternut Squash from The Spiffy Cookie
- Homemade Egg Noodles in Chicken Broth from Art of Natural Living
- Smoked Baked Beans with Bacon and Jalapenos from Our Good Life
- Stovetop Spicy Sweet Potatoes from Magical Ingredients
- Sweet and Spicy Roasted Broccoli from A Day in the Life on the Far