As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Let’s get one thing straight; there is nothing like the smell of fresh baking bread in the oven. While I love a great yeast bread I don’t always have time to wait for it to rise once or twice. That’s when a quick bread can be a great option instead.
Quick breads are easy to make because they don’t require kneading or rising. Instead they are made with baking powder and are just mixed in a bowl. Then the mixture is poured right into a bread pan and it’s baked until it’s cooked. I generally bake sweet quick breads filled with fruits but this one is different.
This time I made Louisiana Pecan Bacon Bread. This bread is both sweet and savory. I have to admit I wasn’t sure what it would taste like because the combination of ingredients are so different. You have the sweet sugar and salty bacon mixed with savory onions and orange bell pepper. It’s like a bread that can’t make up its mind on what it wants to taste like!
The bread was very unusual but it was really very good. I spread a thin layer of butter on it and enjoyed it while it was still warm. The sweetness was very subtle but the crunch from the pecans along with the salty bacon paired with onions and peppers was really quite tasty. It’s like an explosion of flavor in your mouth. If serving to guests I would have a variety of toppings for it such as butter, cream cheese, and honey.
Louisiana Pecan Bacon Bread
- 5 strips bacon chopped
- 6 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 c. flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. pecans chopped
- 1/4 c. onion minced
- 1/4 c. orange bell pepper chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove from pan and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Reserve 2 tablespoon of the drippings.
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, sugar, and bacon drippings. Beat in the egg.
- In another large bowl combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add half of the cream cheese mixture to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Stir the milk into the flour mixture and beat until well combine.
- Add the remaining cream cheese mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in the pecans, onion, peppers, and bacon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely.
Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Freshman Cook
- Chai Spiced Banana Bread by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Kalamata Olive and Oregano Mini Loaves by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Louisiana Bacon Pecan Bread by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiced Apple Quick Bread by Art of Natural Living
- Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Quick Bread by Simply Inspired Meals
- Tropical Mango Banana Bread by That Recipe
- Zucchini Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm