I never heard of crab feasts until I moved to Maryland. Living in Pittsburgh I knew people ate crabs, but I wasn’t one of them. When I moved to Maryland and met my now husband crabs were part of life. People hear have huge parties with newspaper covered tables, Old Bay seasoning, and beer. They sit around for hours picking crabs, sprinkling them with butter, and rolling the pieces in Old Bay. I’ve been to these feasts and have even picked a few crabs myself, but I don’t eat the raw crab meat. My husband on the other hand lives for picking crabs.
This week jumbo lump crab meat was half off at the market so I bought him a pound to surprise him. He made his famous Maryland style crab cakes. Now these I eat. They can be fried but my husband bakes them in the oven until they are a crispy golden brown. I love the spiciness of the Old Bay mixed with the fresh crab meat then balanced out with the fresh lemon slices. They are great on a bun as a sandwich for lunch or just by themselves for a special dinner.
- 1 lb. lump crab meat (we used Maryland blue crab)
- 1 slice of white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t. brown mustard
- 1 t. mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 T. Old Bay seasoning
- Juice from half a lemon, plus 4 lemon slices
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a medium sized baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl mix the pieces of bread, beaten egg, and crab meat. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, mayonnaise, Old Bay, and lemon juice.
3. Divide the crab cake mixture into 4 parts. Shape into patties and place in the prepared pan. Top with a slice of lemon.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: To make crab cake sliders form patties that are the size of a half dollar and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve on slider buns with a lemon slice.
Original recipe from my husband, Frank
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 1491mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 24g