As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
There’s no ice cream maker required for this rich and creamy No Churn Salted Caramel Ice Cream studded with toffee and pretzel pieces.
This year summer came in with a blaze of glory. One minute it was cold and rainy and the next it was scorching hot and humid out! It was like someone flipped a switch and we went from having the heat on in May with jeans and long sleeved shirts to all the fans on in the house and sleeveless dresses in June.
Since we don’t have air conditioning I’m always looking for things to make that will help cool us off. Ice cream and ice pops are high on that list.
The one problem I have is that I don’t have an ice cream machine. I used to think that was a huge problem but that was before I learned about no churn ice.
What is no churn ice cream?
No churn ice cream is a type of homemade ice cream that doesn’t require an ice cream maker or any other special equipment. Traditional ice cream recipes involve churning the mixture in an ice cream machine to incorporate air into the mixture which creates a smooth texture. With no-churn ice cream the same creamy texture is achieved without the need for churning.
No churn ice cream is great for people that don’t have the room or the need for an ice cream maker. While I like ice cream, I only like it when it’s really hot out so purchasing one seemed stupid.
The no churn ice cream recipe is such a basic recipe and almost anything can be mixed into the base from fruits to candy chips to sauces. You can make this ice cream into any flavor you want. But you might want to try this No Churn Salted Caramel Toffee Pretzel Ice Cream first.
- heavy cream (it must be heavy cream so you can whip it into homemade whipped cream)
- sweetened condensed milk
- caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
- sea salt
- vanilla extract
- toffee pieces (I use Heath toffee bits for baking)
I used jarred caramel sauce but you can use homemade caramel sauce if you have it at home. Make sure you have a good quality sea salt to mix with the caramel. Do not use table salt as it’ll just make the ice cream overly salty.
How do you make no churn ice cream?
The basic ingredients for no churn ice cream include heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and flavorings and add-ins like fruit, nuts, or chocolate chips. The heavy cream is whipped with a bit of sugar until stiff peaks form, and then the sweetened condensed milk is mixed in. The add-ins are then gently folded into the whipped cream. This mixture is poured into a container and frozen until it reaches the desired consistency.
The first thing to do is make the base of the ice cream which is whipping the heavy cream into fresh whipped cream. Then stir in the sweetened condensed milk.
Next toffee pieces and broken pretzels are folded into the ice cream cream. Finally caramel sauce is swirled into the ice cream. A good quality sauce is important here.
After mixing all the ingredients together the ice cream goes into a loaf pan and then into the freezer for 4-6 hours. The longer it goes in the freezer then better the texture.
How do you store no churn ice cream?
No churn ice cream can typically be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. It needs to be in an air tight container so that it does not get freezer burned. Over time ice crystals may form which causes the ice cream to become less creamy. However, the texture and flavor are best within the first two weeks of freezing.
This ice cream is smooth, rich, and creamy. You can tasty the notes of caramel along with the crunchy toffee pieces and salty pretzels. The salt paired nicely with the ice and made it not quite as sweet.
More No Churn Ice Cream Recipes:
- No Churn Patriotic Funfetti Ice Cream
- No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
- No Churn Blueberry Graham Cracker Ice Cream
- No Churn Fresh Peach Frozen Yogurt by That Recipe
- No Churn Keto Ice Cream by Art of Natural Living
We enjoyed the ice cream alone and in a waffle cone. We also tried it with caramel drizzled on top and an extra sprinkle of sea salt. It was spectacular!
If you’ve tried my No Churn Salted Caramel Toffee Pretzel Ice Cream or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 c. caramel sauce
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 c. toffee pieces
- 1/3 c. pretzels, chopped
- Place the heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl. Beat using a mixer on medium high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir gently to combine.
- Add the caramel sauce, salt, and vanilla and mix gently.
- Fold in the toffee and pretzel pieces.
- Pour into a loaf pan and sprinkle with additional toffee pieces and pretzel pieces if desired.
- Put a piece of plastic wrap on top and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight.
Recipes from Two Peas and Their Pod
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy No Bake Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Clusters from Art of Natural Living
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Cups from That Recipe
- No Churn Salted Caramel Toffee Pretzel Ice Cream from Hezzi-D’s Recipe Box