Old Fashioned S'mores Fudge is made by boiling milk and sugar using a candy thermometer for a delicious treat that melts in your mouth and is studded with graham cracker pieces and mini marshmallows.
Two weeks ago I was looking through my cupboards and found a pack of graham crackers and half a bag of mini marshmallows. Whenever two ingredients just jump out at me I know that I need to use them and these two screamed s'mores.
I whipped up a batch of quick s'mores fudge and as I was pouring it into the pan something didn't seem right. I thought maybe the fudge wouldn't set up and I was right, it didn't. While it tasted amazing it just didn't get firm and I sadly ended up throwing most of it away.
So this week was all about redemption. I was determined to make this fudge but instead of using the quick method I decided to make Old Fashioned S'mores Fudge. In my mind making it the old fashioned way is just about fool proof as long as you use a candy thermometer.
I'll be honest, it doesn't take much longer to make fudge the right way but there's so much sugar and butter in it that I usually just make the quick fudge. Of course you can tell the difference from the first bite because real fudge melts in your mouth, is super rich, and has a texture that can't be beat.
This recipe adds crushed graham cracker pieces and mini marshmallows to the actual fudge as well as on top of it. It ends up being super thick so cut it into a lot of little pieces because of how rich it is.
One bite of this fudge and my husband knew something was different. I had to confess that I usually make quick fudge and that this was the real thing. I may not be able to go back to the quick fudge after making the old fashioned kind again!
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- Substitute one cup of brown sugar for one cup of the regular sugar to give the fudge subtle notes of caramel.
- Brown the butter before adding to give the fudge a nutty flavor.
- Keep the fudge in the refrigerator for a firmer texture.
- ⅔ c. evaporated milk
- ¾ c. butter, softened
- 3 c. sugar
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- 7 oz. marshmallow cream
- ½ c. graham cracker pieces
- ½ c. mini marshmallows
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil and set aside.
- Put the milk, butter, and sugar in a saucepan over medium high heat. Put a candy thermometer on the side and stir frequenyly until the mixture reaches 234 degrees.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallow cream.
- Once everything is combined gently fold in ⅔ of the graham cracker pieces and marshmallows.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining graham cracker pieces and marshmallows. Press into the fudge.
- Allow to cool for 4 hours or place int he refrigerator.
- When ready to eat use the foil to remove from the pan.
- Cut into 25 squares.
A Hezzi-D original recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 1g
Scrumptious S'mores Recipes
- Frozen S'more Treats by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Old Fashioned S'mores Fudge by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- S'mores Brownies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- S'mores Cookie Bars by Sweet Beginnings
- S'mores Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
- S'mores Iced Coffee by Making Miracles
- S'mores Panna Cotta by Art of Natural Living