So I'm still on the quest to find delicious vegetable side dishes. I was doing really well for a while and was trying a bunch of new recipes. Then I got to a busy time in my life and I went back to roasting every vegetable known to man. It's just so easy to throw vegetables on a roasting pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook for 20 minutes.
As you know I'm a little bit picky about my vegetables. I don't like every vegetable which makes finding vegetable side dishes even harder for me. I'm not a fan of tomatoes as a side dish and I don't like beets. Sweet potatoes are not one of my favorites and I do not like to eat turnips. I have however started eating asparagus and Brussels Sprouts if they are cooked correctly so that's something.
I do really like cauliflower and broccoli so those are usually the vegetables I start with. I searched for vegetable recipes using either one and found a fried Parmesan Cauliflower Bites recipe that sounded easy and really tasty.
It's pretty much cauliflower dipped in eggs and then in a mixture of flour, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings. The original recipe called for Creole seasoning but I didn't have any so I added in a bit of garlic, some paprika, and a hint of chili powder instead. The cauliflower is then pan fried in a skillet to a golden brown color.
These are really good. They are crispy and flavorful with a strong Parmesan flavor. They were great on their own but I think next time I'm going to make a few different dipping sauces for them. I think a buffalo dip, a marinara dip, and possibly a Ranch type dip would be really good for these.
The bites made a delicious side dish for the meal. If I end up serving them with dipping sauces next time I also think they would be good as an appetizer. Either way if you like cauliflower this is a tasty way to eat it!
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 1 c. Panko
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 c. cauliflower florets
- ½ c. flour
- 3 eggs
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- In a shallow dish combine the panko, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and salt.
- Pour the flour into another shallow dish. Whisk the eggs in a third shallow dish.
- Dredge the cauliflower florets in the flour, dip into the eggs, and then dredge in the Parmesan mixture.
- Add the cauliflower to the skillet 5 or 6 at a time and fry, turning every 30 seconds or so, for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cauliflower to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
Recipe adapted from Complete Recipes