As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
It’s no secret that I love pizza. It’s one of those foods that I could easily eat several times a week and not get tired of it. For the most part I tend to stick with plain cheese pizza or chicken pizza. My husband usually has pepperoni or sausage pizza. We will often either order a pizza for take out or pop one in the oven straight out of the freezer.
However, there are some times when I want a more gourmet pizza. There’s no way I’m going out and paying twenty dollars for a gourmet pizza that I can make at home for five bucks. In the past I have made my own crust and then topped it with a bunch of delicious toppings. I also get pre-made crust and top it with all sorts of toppings.
Today I simply went into the refrigerator and looked to see what we had. I found some bacon, a red onion, and peppers and thought that sounded like a tasty combination. I fried up the bacon and chopped it into pieces. I then put the peppers in the bacon grease for just a few minutes and took them out.
I spread the pizza crust in the pan and sprinkled on a few seasonings. Baked that for a few minutes then took it out and topped it. I put the red onion on it raw because it packs a lot of flavor and I knew it would cook a bit in the oven. When it came out I thought it needed a bit of color and flavor and topped it off with arugula.
The pizza was awesome! I love the combination of bacon, vegetables, and peppery arugula. My husband and J liked it as well so I’m going to call this one a win. It’s hard to dislike anything with bacon on it and the addition of vegetables just makes it a little bit healthier!
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 c. marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 c. arugula
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread the dough into a pizza pan and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over medium heat until brown, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate. Crumble.
- Add the garlic and bell pepper to the bacon drippings in the skillet and saute for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat.
- Bake the pizza crust for 5 minutes in the oven.
- Remove and spread the marinara sauce over top of the crust. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place the crumbled bacon, peppers, and raw red onions on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is crispy.
- Remove from oven and top with the arugula.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe