Three cheers for the red, white, and blue! Every summer it seems as though red, white, and blue foods are readily available for BBQ's and picnics. Whenever I think of patriotic summer parties I think of my parents house. All of our summer parties are held at their house. My dad is usually grilling, my mom is cooking a crazy amount of food, and everyone is swimming in the pool. It's always a good time and I leave feeling full.
Whenever we are at home I like to make something small to celebrate the patriotic holidays. One year I made a no bake cheesecake with strawberries and blueberries. Another year I made red, white, and blue sangria. While it's nice to have an alcoholic beverage when it's hot outside, sometimes it's almost too hot for that.
So this year I'm making red, white, and blue lemonade. While you can certainly use either store bought lemonade or bottled lemon juice, nothing is going to beat fresh squeezed lemon juice in this recipe. It's a very simple recipe for lemonade and the strawberries and blueberries make this non-alcoholic beverage red, white, and blue.
The lemonade is both sweet and tart. The berries add just a hint of flavor. I really enjoy eating them after they've been sitting in the lemonade for a while because they have a slight taste of lemon to them which is pretty tasty. When I made and photographed this recipe I put the strawberries on the bottom and the blueberries on top, I soon realized it was much easier to put the blueberries on the bottom and the strawberries on top because they want to float. Either way you do it, this is a fun and festive beverage that kids and adults can enjoy.
- ½ c. fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- ¼ c. sugar
- ½ c. strawberries, chopped
- ½ c. blueberries
- 4 c. sparkling water
- In a shaker or large glass combine the lemon juice and the sugar and stir until the sugar appears mostly dissolved.
- Place a handful of blueberries in the bottom of each of two glasses. Fill the glasses with ice.
- Pour half of the lemon mixture into each glass and then fill each glass with the sparkling water.
- Finish the lemonade off by placing a handful of chopped strawberries on top of each beverage.