This week I had the best CSA we've had yet! I was so excited to get it. I got 2 large onions, 3 beautiful tomatoes, a large bunch of scallions, a big bag of red skinned potatoes, a head of cabbage, a bag of green beans, and 3 squash. The very night we received our CSA I made a quiche that had onions, tomatoes, squash and cheese in it. It was such a simple but delicious meal. I used the cabbage to make our favorite Korean Beef Tacos.
Then I looked at the lovely potatoes. I am a big fan of potatoes but I usually end up making them in to mashed potatoes, baking them in the oven, or making french fries. I wanted to do something different and found a recipe for oven roasted ranch potatoes. I thought it sounded interesting because instead of just sprinkling on Ranch flavored powder, the potatoes are actually mixed with ranch dressing and baked.
The original recipe called for bacon, which I'm sure is delicious in this dish, but I wanted to make a vegetarian version. I added in some of the onion, the scallions, and the red skinned potatoes. I left the skin on the potatoes because it looks pretty and it gets crispy after baking in the oven.
The potatoes took longer then I would have liked to cook up in the oven. I was surprised that pieces that small needed to cook that long but they did. I tossed the vegetables with the ranch, fresh garlic, cheddar cheese, and some seasoning. They came out smelling wonderfully. The cheese melted on the potatoes, the ranch was absorbed into the potatoes, and everything tasted great. It was almost like a giant baked potato casserole and is a great way to make potatoes, put them in the oven, and then finish the rest of your dinner.
- 1½ lb. red skinned potatoes, washed and diced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced + 1 scallion sliced and reserved for topping
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ c. Ranch dressing
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese + ¼ c. to add at the end
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes, onions, scallions, garlic cloves, Ranch dressing, and cheddar cheese. Toss to coat with the Ranch.
- Place the potatoes in an 8 x 8 baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes, mixing the potatoes twice.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 15 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining scallions. Serve hot.