As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
One of my new year’s resolutions is to spend less time in the kitchen while cooking dinner. There’s nothing I resent more then working all day long, coming home, and spending over an hour in the kitchen making dinner. I have some fairly quick recipes but most of them aren’t healthy. So I’m determined this year to make quick and healthy meals during the week. Then I can make dinner that take longer on the weekends.
I started looking for quick and healthy recipe sin my Cooking Light Magazine. I’ve been getting Cooking Light for about 10 years and it’s my favorite cooking magazine. I love seeing the flavorful dishes that are healthy as well. They also have a section where they have fast, easy, and healthy meals which are perfect for after work.
This dish is an easy one pot skillet chicken dish. It has potatoes and vegetables in the pan and then is topped with a quick cream sauce. Everything is baked in a skillet with lemon slices on top. I used the biggest lemon you’ve ever seen. My friend went to Florida recipe and got them from a person there. The lemon was literally as big as a grapefruit!
The result is a delicious chicken and vegetables dish with a flavorful and creamy sauce. I’ll admit that the sauce looks more like a gravy but it tastes great and really gives the chicken and vegetables a punch of flavor. I like how simple it is to make and the fact that most of the cooking time is hands off.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 carrots, cut in half then sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces red skinned potatoes, quartered
- 1 pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 8 thin lemon slices, seeds removed
- 1 c. skim milk, divided
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 4 minutes per side or until golden. Remove from pan and place on a plate.
- Place the carrots and peppers in the skillet and sprinkle with thyme. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan and top with the lemon slices. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and remove the chicken and vegetables to a plate.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour. Return pan to medium high heat. Add flour mixture, remaining milk, and chicken stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the pepper.
- Pour the sauce over top of the chicken and vegetables and serve.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, January/February 2016.