Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Macaroni Salad takes traditional macaroni salad and jazzes it up with barbecue chicken, sweet barbecue sauce, and spicy hot sauce with fresh chopped veggies.
I love macaroni salad. Out of all the cold summer salads, macaroni salad is my favorite. I think it's the combination of mustard and mayonnaise with crunchy vegetables and macaroni noodles.
So when I saw a recipe for barbecue chicken macaroni salad I was so excited. Chicken is one of my favorite foods and I love it in everything. Paired with the sweetness from the barbecue sauce I knew it was going to be perfect.
My husband isn't a huge fan of sweet pasta salads so in order to combat the sweetness I added in some hot sauce. It turned out that the sweet barbecue sauce and hot sauce balanced each other out perfectly and made for a delicious summer salad.
Like traditional macaroni salad it has both mustard and mayonnaise in the sauce. That's where the similarities end though. The sweet and spiciness of the additional ingredients make this macaroni salad a show stopper.
Plus the chicken is an added bonus because it makes for a hearty side. In fact, we ate this along with another pasta salad for dinner one night. I figure it has pasta, a protein, and vegetables so it makes for a full meal.
More macaroni salad recipes:
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- Cook the macaroni to al dente so that it stands up to the sauce and toppings.
- You can use rotisserie chicken, already cooked chicken, or leftover chicken in this recipe.
- Add in your favorite veggies like carrots, peppers, celery, and onions to make it the perfect side dish.
If you’ve tried my Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Macaroni Salad or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 12 oz. macaroni noodles
- ⅓ c. mayonnaise
- ⅓ c. sour cream
- ⅓ c. sweet barbecue sauce
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce (I used Frank's red hot)
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 c. rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, mustard, and sugar.
- Add the macaroni noodles, chicken, bell pepper, celery, red onion, parsley, salt, pepper, celery salt, and garlic. Mix well to combine.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 867mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 19g
Wednesday #BBQWeek Recipes
Appetizers and Drinks
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Corn by Making Miracles
- Cowboy Beans by Devour Dinner
- Creamy Coleslaw Recipe by SueBee Homemaker
- Grilled French Fries by Palatable Pastime
- Memphis-Style Coleslaw by House of Nash Eats
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker BBQ Green Beans with Bacon by Blogghetti
- Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Bacon and Cheddar Smash Burgers by Family Around the Table
- Easy Smoked Ribs by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Greek Chicken Pita Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- The Best Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grilled Banana Bread with Vanilla Ice Cream and Homemade Caramel Sauce by Our Good Life
- Magic Chocolate Walnut Fudge by The Spiffy Cookie
- Old Fashioned Whoopie Pies by Jolene's Recipe Journal
Be sure to follow our Pinterest board for more summer BBQ ideas.