Baked Lemon Pasta takes spaghetti in a creamy sauce brightened up with lemon and tosses it with plenty of Parmesan cheese then finishes it off in the oven. This post originally published November 2013.
I love a good pasta dish but often times I get tired of adding red sauce to it. No matter what else you add to the pasta if it has red sauce on it its going to have a similar taste.
So when I saw the recipe for Lemon Pasta I was intrigued. I've never real thought about putting fruit on pasta but adding lemon sounded like a great way to brighten up the dish.
The lemon along with a creamy sauce and Parmesan cheese is the perfect combination. While many pasta dishes are heavy and great for winter this one is light and works well in the spring or summer.
- sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
To make the dish cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and keep warm. Then heat the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion and garlic in it.
Remove the skillet from heat and stir in half the lemon juice and all of the sour cream. Mix well. Add in the salt, pepper, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Add lemon zest to taste.
Pour the pasta into a dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
Do I have to bake the pasta?
No you don't. It's delicious with the pasta just tossed with the sauce but baking the dish makes the flavors meld together better.
What can I substitute for the sour cream?
You can use half and half, heavy cream, or plain Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream.
Can I use a different shape of pasta?
Yes! I recommend using some type of long noodle like spaghetti or fettuccine or else a short noodle with grooves like rotini or bow ties so that the sauce sticks in it.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes! Make it up until the step where you pour it into the pan. Then cover the pan and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. When ready to eat bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes.
This pasta turned out really good. I like that it has a lighter feel to it then pasta with marinara sauce. The Parmesan adds a bit of saltiness and the pepper adds a touch of spice.
You could even chill this pasta and serve it as a cold pasta salad in the summer.
More Pasta Recipes:
- Pasta Primavera with Chorizo
- Italian Deli Pasta Salad
- Pasta with Mushrooms, Bacon, and Sweet Corn
- Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Skillet Pasta with Beef and Vegetables
If you’ve tried my Baked Lemon Pasta or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ c. onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In a skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Once it is melted
add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add half of the fresh lemon juice and sour cream. Mix well until combined.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, salt, pepper, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Toss to combine.
- Add the lemon zest a little at a time, tasting after each addition, until you get the flavor you are looking for.
- Pour the spaghetti into a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Friday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Mousse by Fresh April Flours
- Lemon Bundt Cake by House of Nash Eats
- Between The Sheets Cocktail by A Day in the Life on the Farms
- Strawberry Vodka Lemonade by SueBee Homemaker
- Greek Lemon Potatoes by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing by Lemon Blossoms
- Bourbon Lemonade by Our Good Life
- Strawberry Vodka Pink Lemonade by Our Crafty Cocktail
- Lemoncello Tiramisu by The Redhead Baker
- Lemony Baby Bok Choy Apple and Miso Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette by Making Miracles
- Lemon and Rice Cheese Bombs by Magical Ingredients
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins by Devour Dinner