Looking for an easy to make and healthy weeknight meal? These chicken stir fry lettuce wraps are made with bell peppers and onions and are ready in about 20 minutes.
I am a total carbaholic. I love to eat carbs in pretty much any form. So whenever I'm trying to be healthier I start looking for ways to have my favorite meals minus the addition of bread products.
Since I love lettuce wraps making them is an easy choice. Most of the lettuce wraps I've made myself have been made with ground beef or ground chicken.
So when I saw a recipe for chicken lettuce wraps that use chicken breasts that are thinly sliced and sauteed I was excited to give them a try.I also liked that there were onions and peppers in the mix.
- chicken breasts
- black pepper
- olive oil
- bell pepper
- garlic cloves
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- cooked rice
- romaine lettuce leaves
To Make the Lettuce Wraps: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pan. Add the remaining olive oil, bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and add in the ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and Sriracha. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken back in and cook for 2 minutes. Spread each lettuce leaf with 2-3 tablespoons of rice and 3 tablespoons of the chicken and vegetable mixture.
At first I was concerned about how much time it would take to make these chicken lettuce wraps. As it turns out I was done from start to finish in about 25 minutes which is awesome for a weeknight meal.
The sauce used to make these wraps is really simple but it's flavorful. The saltiness of the soy, the tang from the vinegar, and the spiciness from the Sriracha make for a tasty dish.
Can I use ground chicken?
You can totally use ground chicken in this recipe if you prefer. I would use about a pound of ground chicken but cook according to the same directions. I like the chicken breast but the flavor would still be there with ground chicken.
Can I use a different type of lettuce?
You can use any type of lettuce that tastes good and will hold the filling. I use romaine because it isn't too pricey and it holds a lot of filling. Plus I like the flavor. Other good lettuce for this would be Bibb lettuce, Boston lettuce, or even iceberg.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can make this up to a day in advance. Simple make the filling and refrigerate in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Then when ready to serve make the rice and heat the filling in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. I've made it in advance and it tastes just as good.
Can I use different vegetables?
Use whatever vegetables you would typically enjoy in a lettuce wrap. I think that peppers and onions make it easy and quick to cook. You could add mushrooms, zucchini, squash, or even carrots.
These lettuce wraps were awesome! I loved the flavor of the soy and rice vinegar. It was so simple but mixed with chicken, peppers, and onions it was full of flavor.
My husband liked them so much that he asked if we could keep them on our rotating monthly menu plan!
We did enjoy these once a month for about 2 years and then I lost the recipe. Thankfully since finding it again we've been having this dish about once a month again. I love how filling, easy, and quick these are to make!
More Lettuce Wrap Recipes:
- Pork Bulgogi Lettuce Wraps
- Boneless BBQ Chicken Wing Lettuce Wraps
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Portuguese Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Beef Bulgogi Lettuce Wraps
If you’ve tried my Chicken Stir Fry Lettuce Wraps or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
Chicken Stir Fry Lettuce Wraps
These chicken stir fry lettuce wraps are made with bell peppers and onions and are ready in about 20 minutes.
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally then thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ c. lite soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 c. jasmine rice, cooked
- 8 romaine lettuce hearts
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly to cook the chicken through. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining olive oil. Add the bell peppers and onion to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, soy
sauce, vinegar, and Sriracha. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring
- Add the chicken and accumulated juices to the skillet and toss to
coat. Heat for an additional 2 minutes to warm up the chicken.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of rice and 3 tablespoons of the chicken and vegetable mixture in each lettuce cup and enjoy.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Adobo Chicken Wings from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Air Fryer Chicken Patties from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cheesy Onion Chicken from That Recipe
- Chicken an Bulgar Pilaf from Pandemonium Noshery
- Chicken Lettuce Stir Fry Wraps from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Easy Baked Bruschetta Chicken from Blogghetti
- Easy Chicken Stroganoff from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Honey BBQ Chicken Legs from Jen Around the World
- Organic Chicken Bone Broth from Art of Natural Living
- Southern Fried Chicken from Palatable Pastime
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Love how quick and healthy these are! The marinate with the peppers sound delicious.
I'm struggling to lose weight before my blood sugar recheck. So I seriously love this!
I love that you turned a delicious stir fry into a lettuce wrap!
Karen's Kitchen Stories
I'm a carboholic too but I luuurve lettuce wraps. And Romaine!
These fit in perfectly with the diet plan I'm on right now, thank you for another recipe I can add to my repertoire! Sometimes it can get boring-lol.
Erin @ WholesomeRD.com
So glad you and your husband liked them! They are so easy and delicious - and super healthy! 🙂 Thank you!
Those look fresh and fantastic - so flavorful and delicious. What a great SRC choice!
I just love Lettuce Wraps and these look delicious. This is a great recipe for the SRC, and thanks for sharing.