During the holidays add some color to your Rice Krispies Treats and make these fun (and easy!) Grinch Heart Rice Krispies Treats!
On of my favorite easy to make desserts are Rice Krispies treats. They only have a few ingredients, take minutes to make, and are a favorite of kids and adults.
Over the years I've made several versions of these classic treats. It's fun to add in some spices or other flavors to make them new and fresh.
That's why when I saw these Grinch Heart Rice Krispies Treats I couldn't wait to make them for the holidays. The Grinch is one of our favorite movies and what better treat to make then Rice Krispies treats to go along with the movie?
- Rice Krispies
- mini marshmallows
- green food coloring
- red candy melts
To Make the treats: Heat the butter and mini marshmallows in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Stir until the marshmallows have melted. Mix in the salt and green food coloring then remove from heat. Stir in the Rice Krispies. Spread into a 9 x 13 pan and allow to set for 1 hour.
To make this version of the classic treats you make them exactly how you would make the original with marshmallows, butter, and Rice Krispies. I added just a hint of salt for a bit of flavor.
Then you add in some green food coloring and mix until combined. Spread it in the pan and wait until the treats have hardened.
What type of food coloring should I use?
I prefer to use gel food coloring whenever I'm baking because I use less and it makes a more vibrant color. My favorite gel food coloring is Americolor Gel Food Colors. However, you can use the regular food coloring that you would get in the supermarket you'll just need more of it.
Do I have to use candy melts for the hearts?
If you can find quins or sprinkles in the shape of a heart you can use those instead. Just put a little bit of chocolate or frosting on them and stick them onto the Rice Krispies Treats.
Can I Make these for other holidays?
Yes! Dye them red and use them for Valentine's Day. Dye them whatever color you want and use them for a party. Dye them pink and blue and use them for a gender reveal. The possibilities are endless!
How Do I Store Rice Krispies Treats?
Store the Rice Krispies Treats in an air tight container for up to 7 days.
This is where things start changing. You can either use a knife or a cookie cutter. I used a cookie cutter to make the heart shapes.
While you can use a plastic or a metal cookie cutter I found it's much easier to cut the Rice Krispies treats with a metal cookie cutter.
Cut the treats into heart shapes. You can make them all the same size or go for a variety of sizes so people have the option of which size they'd like to eat.
More Rice Krispies Treats Recipes:
- Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispies Treats
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats
- Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispies Treats
- Nutella Scotcheroos
- Shark Head Rice Krispies Treats
Then I melted some red candy melts and piped little red hearts in the center. These are the Grinch's hearts and they are so cute.
These would be great on a holiday dessert buffet or you can package them up and give them as gifts or holiday party favors. They last for up to a week so they are easy to make ahead of time.
If you’ve tried my Grinch Heart Rice Krispies Treats or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 6 c. Rice Krispies Treats
- 2 oz. red candy melts
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan combine the butter and marshmallows. Cook over medium heat, mixing frequently, until the marhsmallow are melted.
- Add the salt and food coloring and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix well to combine.
- Spread the treats into the prepared pan and press to flatten.
- Allow the treats to harden for 30 minutes.
- Using a heart cookie cutter cut heart shapes out of the treats. Place the hearts on waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Place red candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and stir. Continue heating in 15 second intervals, stirring after each heating, until melted.
- Place candy melts in a zip top baggie and snip off the ends. Pipe a heart onto the center of each Rice Krispies Treat. Allow to harden for 15 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Mom 4 Real