As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Easy Birds Nests Cookies are a 3 ingredient no bake cookie topped with chocolate eggs or jelly beans. This recipe originally posted in April 2012.
I’m always looking for easy holiday recipes that I can share with my students at work. While I usually make them myself these chocolate birds nest candies are easy enough for kids to make on their own.
I first made these cookies over ten years ago. I used chow mein noodles and melted chocolate chips. I didn’t get a smooth finish on the chocolate and the whole thing was a bit of a mess but boy were they delicious.
- chow mein noodles
- chocolate candy melts
- chocolate eggs or jelly beans
To Make the Cookies: Pour the chow mein noodles into a large bowl. Heat the chocolate candy until melted. Pour the chocolate onto the chow mein noodles and mix well. Spoon tablespoons of the mixture onto parchment paper and top with 3 chocolate eggs or jelly beans.
My son was home when I was making these so he was all about helping me. He was able to dump the chow mein noodles into the bowl and to stir the chocolate into the noodles.
Older kids can also spoon the mixture onto the parchment paper and shape into nests. I used a spoon to spoon the mixture onto the parchment but then I used my fingers to make the dent for the eggs.
My son was also able to help me put the chocolate eggs on top of the nests. He enjoyed telling me what color the eggs were as we were putting them on.
What are Chow Mein Noodles?
Chow mein noodles are crispy fried noodles. You will need to buy the crispy, dried chow mein noodles that are used as a topping on salads or used to make the classic chocolate-covered haystacks. They are not the same as chow mein noodles that are meant to boil.
How do I store these birds nests?
They can be stored in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks. If you need to stack them put a layer of parchment in between each layer.
I don’t have parchment paper, can I use something else?
You can used waxed paper as you won’t be baking these. You could also spray a baking sheet and place the birds nests on the sheets to cool and harden.
Can I use a different kind of chip?
Yes! These are great using butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, or even cinnamon chips! I haven’t tried white chocolate chips yet but I bet they would be great as well.
These chocolate birds nests are a fun Easter treat. They only take about 15 minutes to make and use just 3 ingredients. They are also easy to make somewhere without an oven.
Birds Nests Cookies are easy to pack and travel with. They stack and are fairly sturdy so you can drive a good distance without having any issues.
More No Bake Recipes:
- No Bake S’mores Pie
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- No Bake Summer Berry Icebox Cake
- No Bake Mocha Cheesecake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
Not only are the Birds Nest Cookies easy to make they taste great too! They are sweet, salty, and crunchy which is one of my favorite combinations! The chocolate eggs in the center are just an extra tasty treat.
- 3-4 c. crunchy Chow Mein Noodles
- 2 c. chocolate candy melts
- Chocolate eggs or jelly beans
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals, stirring in between each interval until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Place the chow mein noodles in a large bowl. Pour the melted chocolate over top and mix well until all the noodles are covered.
- Using a large tablespoon, spoon the chocolate noodle mixture onto the parchment and form it into a nest shape. Press your finger in the middle to make an indentation.
- Place three jelly beans or chocolate eggs in the center of each nest. Allow the chocolate to set for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the parchment paper and store in an air tight container until ready to use.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens