In the winter I love using my slow cooker. It's awesome to come home to a warm and comforting meal after a long, hard day of work. I should really use the slow cooker more in the summer but it just seems like a winter thing to me. Plus whenever I cook in the slow cooker I know I'm going to have leftovers which is awesome for taking to work.
I most recently made Bourbon Chicken. Thinking of Bourbon Chicken I wasn't really sure what to pair it with. I thought maybe it would work on top of mashed potatoes but then I decided not to do that. I wasn't really sure what I was going to make to go with it until I got home from work that night.
After smelling the chicken as soon as I hit the door I immediately thought of Asian food. So I cut some broccoli into florets and threw it in the slow cooker for a half hour. I cooked up some rice to go along with it and I definitely made the right call.
This chicken is bursting with flavor and it worked really well with the broccoli. The rice absorbed the sweet and tangy flavor and was perfect with it. Not only was it great the first day, it was awesome the next day in a soft taco with pickled cabbage. I love meals that can be re-purposed into something even better the next day!
- 3 lbs. boneless chicken breasts and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 t. fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ t. red pepper flakes
- 2 T. honey
- 3 T. brown sugar
- ¼ c. ketchup
- 3 T. cider vinegar
- ¼ c. Bourbon
- ⅓ c. soy sauce
- ½ c. water
- 1 t. black pepper
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 4 c. rice
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the onions around the chicken.
- In a medium bowl combine the ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, honey, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, Bourbon, soy sauce, water, and black pepper. Mix well and pour over top of the chicken and onions.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker and add the broccoli. Replace the lid and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve over top of rice.