As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken is an easy and delicious meal! There’s tender and juicy chicken cooked with vegetables in a tasty bourbon ginger sauce.
In the winter I love using my slow cooker. It’s awesome to come home to a warm and comforting meal after a long, hard day of work.
However, I’ve also been using it more and more in the summer. It’s nice not to have to heat the house up with the oven when it’s already hot outside.
Making dinner in the slow cooker is easy. Plus whenever I cook in the slow cooker I know I’m going to have leftovers which is awesome for taking to work for my lunch.
I most recently made Bourbon Chicken in the slow cooker. Thinking of Bourbon Chicken I wasn’t really sure what to pair it with.
- bell peppers
- brown sugar
- cider vinegar
- soy sauce
- black pepper
To Make the Chicken: Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Put the onions and peppers around the chicken. In a bowl combine the ginger, garlic, honey, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, bourbon, soy sauce, Sriracha, black pepper, and water. Mix well and dump over top of the chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I thought maybe the chicken would work on top of mashed potatoes but then I decided not to do that. I wasn’t really sure what I was going to make to go with it until I got home from work that night.
After smelling the chicken as soon as I hit the door I immediately thought of Asian food. The soy smell was strong and that made life a whole lot easier.
So I cut some broccoli into florets and threw it in the slow cooker for the last half hour of cooking. Then I cooked up some rice to go along with it and I definitely made the right call.
Can I use a different protein?
You could use a pork loin or pork chops in place of the chicken in this recipe. You can probably use beef as well but I’m not sure what the timing would be with the beef. Pork would cook for the same time as the chicken.
Can I use something else for the bourbon?
If you want a non-alcoholic substitute for the bourbon your best bet is to use apple juice. It will still add a nice depth of flavor but it won’t overpower any of the other flavors in this chicken dish.
Can I add other vegetables?
You can add in any vegetables you would like. I would recommend that if you use vegetables besides the onions and peppers to wait until the last hour to add them to the slow cooker so they don’t become too mushy. It’s ok for the onions and peppers because they work well in the sauce but other vegetables will not.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
You can make this in the Instant Pot. I’ve done it several times. Place the chicken, onions, peppers, and sauce in the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let the natural pressure release for 10 minutes then release manually. I then usually saute the broccoli and dump it into the chicken mixture.
This chicken is bursting with flavor and it worked really well with adding the broccoli at the end. The rice absorbed the sweet and tangy flavor and was perfect with it.
Not only was it great the first day, it was awesome the next day in a soft taco with pickled cabbage. I love meals that can be re-purposed into something even better the next day!
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Asian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Nashville Hot Chicken Sliders
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast
- Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Pasta Bolognese
If you’ve tried my Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 3 lbs. boneless chicken breasts and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ c. Bourbon
- ⅓ c. soy sauce
- ½ c. water
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 4 c. rice
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the onions and peppers around the chicken.
- In a medium bowl combine the ginger, garlic, Sriracha, honey, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, Bourbon, soy sauce, water, and black pepper. Mix well and pour over top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the broccoli and any other vegetables. Replace the lid and cook for 30 minutes-1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve over top of rice.
Recipe adapted from Spend with Pennies
All in One! One Pot or One Pan Meals
- Creamy Keto Chicken and Asparagus Skillet from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- One Pan Cheese Ravioli with Peas and Arugula from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- One Pan Ranch Chicken and Veggies from Jen Around the World
- One-Pot Sun Dried Tomato Pasta and Sausage from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Oven Poached Lemon Butter Cod from Art of Natural Living
- Oven Roasted Sausage and Beans from That Recipe
- Sheet Pan Italian Sausage with Gnocchi, Peppers, & Onions from The Spiffy Cookie
- Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach and Paneer Orzo Pasta from Magical Ingredients