Working in a school means I don’t have a lot of time for lunch. Everyday I have a 30 minute block of time for lunch. However, that means I have to use the bathroom, heat up my lunch, eat, and get to my next class in a short amount of time. That means I have to find easy and quick lunch ideas to eat in my short time period.
I don’t think people really understand what a short period of time 30 minutes is for a work lunch. That 30 minutes also only starts when I have kids back in class or if I’m not needed during my lunch. I’ll be honest, the last few years have been much better for this. I’m rarely called during my lunch time. Years before I’d be called at least once a week and it was such a pain.
So back to lunch ideas. I’d say about twice a week I have leftovers. Leftovers are great because they can be reheated in about two minutes and I don’t have to do anything but pack them up the night before. I also have a microwaveable dinner once or twice a week. While these take longer to cook and we have to share the microwaves in the faculty room, they are pretty filling and don’t take long to eat.
The other days vary for me. Sometimes I have a cold sandwich and other times I have a salad. But I’m always on the lookout for new things I can pack in my lunch.
This Buffalo Chicken Wrap is great for lunch or dinner. If you are a fan of buffalo chicken you’ll love it. I’m not sure why I haven’t made one before! I actually made these for dinner one night and then took the leftovers for lunch the next day. It’s best to heat up the chicken so if you are taking them in your lunch keep the chicken separate so you can heat it up.
You can make these with breaded or grilled chicken. I just used frozen, breaded chicken strips. I heated them up and tossed them in buffalo sauce. Then I put them in the wrap along with lettuce, celery, tomato, blue cheese, and ranch dressing. They were ready in about 20 minutes and tasted great!
- 1 lb. breaded, frozen chicken
- ½ c. Frank's Red hot
- 1 T. butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. romaine lettuce, chopped
- ¼ c. celery, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ c. blue cheese crumbles
- ½ c. Ranch dressing
- 4 tortilla wraps
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Bake the chicken strips in the oven for 15 minutes or until they reach temperature (170 degrees). Remove from oven.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the Red Hot, butter, and garlic. Cover and microwave for 30-45 seconds or until melted. Mix well.
- Place the chicken tenders in a bowl with a lid. Pour the sauce over top of them. Cover and shake for 30 seconds.
- Place the wraps on the counter. Put 1-2 tablespoons of ranch dressing on each one. Then divide the lettuce, celery, tomato, and blue cheese crumbles between the wraps.
- Add 2 chicken tenders to each wrap and then roll them up.
- Cut in half and serve with additional ranch dressing.