Forget driving to your favorite coffee place for egg bites, make delicious and nutritious egg bites with ease in your Instant Pot. These egg bites are packed with protein and flavor and are made with just a few simple ingredients.
I have a love and hate relationship with my Instant Pot. It makes foods like pulled pork, ribs, and other tough meat really tender in a quick amount of time.
However, sometimes it overcooks items like soup or pasta in a very short amount of time. So whenever I am looking to cook in my Instant Pot I generally try a recipe several times so that I know it will work.
These Copycat Starbucks Egg Bites are the first recipe I've ever made in the Instant Pot that calls for the steam setting. I've seen it on there but I've never used it before.
What is the Steam Setting on the Instant Pot?
The steam setting is great for making vegetables, seafood, and other foods that steam well. This function will cook your food on low pressure which helps to avoid overcooking the food and that the Instant Pot will come to pressure quicker. You will put liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot and use a trivet to elevate the food so it is steamed and not cooked in the liquid.
One thing I love about this recipe for easy egg bites is that it doesn't use many ingredients. It's basically eggs, cheese, bacon, milk, and some spices all mixed together and steamed in the Instant Pot.
- bacon (cook the bacon and chop it into tiny pieces)
- eggs (use good eggs as this is the main flavor-I like getting mine at the farmer's market)
- milk (I use whole milk but you can use heavy cream, half and half, or skim milk)
- cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- Swiss cheese (shredded or finely chopped
The first thing you will need to do is cook and chop the bacon. You can do this the night before or when you are ready to make the egg bites.
Then you will mix together the eggs, milk, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. The first time I did this I used a whisk but the cream cheese didn't mix as well. I found that if you beat the cream cheese with a mixer and then add the eggs and mix well it helps everything mix together evenly.
Can I use another type of cheese?
You can use any type of cheese that melts well. Good cheeses to use would be American, cheddar, mozzarella, or Gruyere.
Can I make these vegetarian?
If you don't want to add the bacon you don't have too. You can just leave it out or you can saute some vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms and add ⅓ cup of the vegetables to the egg mixture.
Can I use just egg whites in the egg bites?
You can just use egg whites in place of the eggs. Simply replace the 4 eggs with ¾ cup of egg whites. Keep the remaining ingredients the same.
Let's talk about how to actually make the egg bites. You will need the silicone mold that fits inside the Instant Pot. Spray the mold with cooking spray before filling it.
The original recipe calls for the cheese and bacon to be divided between the egg cups before the egg mixture is poured in. I've done it this way and I've mixed the cheese and bacon in with the eggs.
I'll be honest, I like it with a combination of the two. I like to mix half the bacon and cheese in with the eggs and put just a bit in the bottom of the molds. You can do it any of these three ways.
More Egg Recipes:
- Asparagus, Sausage, and Onion Quiche
- Steak and Eggs Breakfast Hash
- Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Bake
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Crescent Wraps
- Caramelized Onion, Bacon, and Cheese Egg Tart
Once the egg mixture is poured into the egg mold you'll need to fill the bottom of the Instant Pot with one cup of water. Since you want the eggs to steam and not bake in the water you'll need the trivet to place the egg mold on.
The Instant Pot will steam for 10 minutes. Once it has finished you will need to release all of the steam in the pot immediately.
This part is important. Leave the egg mold in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes after you have released the steam and taken the lid off.
When I looked in the pot I thought I had messed up the recipe. The eggs were puffed up well above the rim of the mold and they looked wet. I thought they were done for.
However, after 5 minutes they settled, looked cooked, and were even with the rim of the mold. I flipped it over onto a plate and all but one of the eggs easily fell out. I was able to apply pressure to the last one and it slid out as well.
These egg bites are awesome! The eggs are fluffy and cooked beautifully. There's a bit of smokiness and saltiness from the bacon and a cream texture from the cheeses. I served them with a slice of toast for a complete breakfast meal.
f you’ve tried my Instant Pot Egg Bites or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
Instant Pot Egg Bites
Egg bites are packed with protein and flavor and are made with just a few simple ingredients.
- 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ c. milk
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ c. shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix with a mixer on medium low speed until well combined.
- Add half the cheese and half the bacon and whisk until combined.
- Place the metal trivet in the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water to the pot.
- Spray a silicon Instant Pot egg bite mold with baking spray. Divide the remaining bacon and cheese between the egg cups in the mold.
- Carefully fill the egg molds with the egg mixture, leaving ½ inch of space at the top of each mold.
- Place the egg mold in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet.
- Close and lock the lid and put on the steam setting. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Immediately release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Allow the egg bites to sit for 5 minutes before removing from the Instant Pot and flipping over onto a plate.
- Enjoy warm. Place any leftovers in an air tight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Recipe adapted from Mad About Food
Incredible Egg Recipes
- Breakfast Pizza from The Spiffy Cookie
- Creme Caramel from Art of Natural Living
- Ham and Cheese Omelet from That Recipe
- Instant Pot Egg Bites from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Lyonnaise Salad from Palatable Pastime
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
I have to try these--such a practical and healthy breakfast!
These would be perfect for a brunch spread. I like having lots of bite sized items to choose from.